Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Deep sighs and heartfelt thanks to God....

“The Lord has done great things for us – therefore we are glad!” – Psalm 126:3


A posting from Diane Clements; Director of Grace Children's Home


Deep sigh.... I am sitting in London’s Heathrow airport – finally at rest. I have just completed a 2 ½ hour marathon wrestling match with all of my heavy luggage. Taking it down the street to the underground station, onto the tube, off the tube, up the ramp to my terminal... down to the tube to another terminal and back up again - it sounds kind of simple, but it was anything but. Pushing a heavily loaded luggage cart up and down those ramps and around corners... well, let’s just say that wearing sandals was not a good idea. My toes are seriously battered! I think it would also be safe to say that my particular cart was possessed by some sort of unclean spirit! And then there was my 4 ½ foot long Kamba bow and arrows – nearly poked my own eye out and almost took out a few other commuters with it as well! it was a little unwieldy, to say the least. But I made it – phew!

Enough whining, and enough about me – what I want to share is the last few days that I had in Kenya. Lois and I spent them in a flurry of activity – making sure that we had finished all the things on our “to do” list and had discussed all the possible scenarios and problems that might crop up. I am utterly grateful for Lois – she is so hardworking and loving and kind to everyone. She is also a gifted administrator and she will do very well supervising the homes. She has been doing work just like this for many years already and has a good relationship with everyone involved. I cannot thank God enough for linking us together in this next stage for our grace homes ministry. We think so much alike (well, ok, that could be scary) but I see it as a blessing. A big one.

Friday was our most special day – our family dedication. The backyard of the homes, brightly decorated with balloons and crepe paper, was the scene of our gathering. Benches were set up – we were ready – and so we waited. …and waited. People trickled in over time (Kenyan style) but finally after 1 ½ hours of waiting, we started without one of our families. They had been held up in the marketplace, but arrived shortly after. Almost all of the UAEM board was there – along with other leaders and friends. We had gathered to celebrate what God had done in 3 short weeks and to dedicate it all right back to Him. We sang and Lois, Hoyt and I spoke. Then we prayed – for each family and for each individual child. It was really very special and powerful. Our ceremony ended with cake and juice – a perfect end to a perfect day.

Saturday we piled everyone into the van and bounced over to the Bible College to take advantage of their beautiful flowers for our individual and family pictures. it was a really fun time... the children were soooo excited. They just can’t stop smiling! I am quite spoiled by our children in Nepal – they know when picture day comes that it is all about business and they know exactly what I am looking for – eyes on the camera and big smiles with lots of teeth. But since this was our first try here in Kenya, especially the little ones did not get it! Of course when someone says something funny to make you laugh, you look at them – right? Result: picture of the side of your head, and parents, you should always be looking at your children to make sure they are looking at the camera – right? Oh well. We took a multitude of snaps and finally came up with one that is pretty good. How funny these kids are! Anyway, I am sure that next time the task will be a little easier.

Afterwards the children gathered around me to give me goodbye hugs (mmmm, sweet!) and then they all laid their hands on me and prayed for me while I tried not to cry. It was hard to say goodbye so soon after we had just met. It was just the beginning of a long succession of goodbyes over the next 48 hours– none of which were easy or welcome.

There was the last everything – I think of them as the “last days”, the last church service, the last prayer time, the last supper and the last hug and kiss. Frankly, goodbyes stink. I hate saying goodbye. Finally, on Sunday night it was time for 4 of the guys and I to pile my stuff into the small car and head to the airport. My flight left at 2:30 am – so we left quite late (after 10) since they did not want me to sit around at the airport (bless their hearts). Unfortunately that got them back home at around 2 am – with all of them needing to get up early and work. As a special blessing, we stopped on the way for a breathtaking display of the Kenyan stars (they have so many here!!), the sky was awash with them. I wished I could have just stood there staring into the heavens forever. What astonishing beauty our God has made! Thanks guys for that gift!

Finally, thank you for your prayers and taking yet another journey with me – it was really an amazing 3 weeks. For the readying of the homes and policies, the choosing and preparation of the staff, the researching and selection of the children and for every other detail to be covered and taken care of in that amount of time - right down to the final dedication - truly it was a miracle. And miracles only happen thru the prayers of God’s people. Thank you for your vital part in the establishment of grace children’s homes Kenya – I look forward to keeping you updated on the progress of both our Nepali and Kenyan families.

Two more long flights and I will be home again.... home – it has become a strange word to me – I have so many of them now! I can’t wait to see my grandbabies and give them a giant hug and kiss – African style! I think I am one of the most blessed people on this planet to have a special family on 3 different continents - even though it kinda splits the heart 3 different ways! But who ever said that loving wasn't hard sometimes? God is good.....all the time!

In awe of Him and His goodness (especially in light of my unworthiness),Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment