Monday, June 29, 2009

Through the backdoor......


Diane Clements has returned from Kenya and this is her most recent posting:


“All the paths of the LORD are lovingkindness and truth to those who keep His covenant and His testimonies. For Your Name's sake, O LORD, pardon my iniquity, for it is great.” – Psalm 25:10-11


I’ve been thinking a lot since I got back home... I really didn’t expect it to happen this way – I thought I would go to Kenya, do the work that God sent me there to do, leave it in the hands of others and then return home unchanged. Over the past 8 years, God has firmly planted my heart in Asia – specifically in Nepal with our families there – but I really didn’t think that there would be that same intense love and attachment with the work and people of Kenya. After all, how many places and people and cultures can one person’s heart be linked with?? But before I knew it I was swooped right into the Kangundo family! It seriously took me by surprise just how much I came to love Kenya, my coworkers and brothers and sisters there, and above all, the children He has entrusted to us. It was rather like Kenya snuck into my heart thru the backdoor and caught me unaware. And yet the fact remains – I returned home with a part of my heart truly Kenyan.

But isn’t that just like our God? When we are obedient to His call, then He gives great joy in the act of our obedience – even when we don’t expect it. His goodness is beyond our understanding – highlighted all the more by our sinfulness and unworthiness to even be used by Him. Isn’t He amazing??

Please continue to pray for our homes in Kangundo as they make the many adjustments to this new ministry. Pray for wisdom for Lois as she directs and guides and for the parents as they adjust to their new roles. And even as we are beginning this ministry, pray for the second phase of it. I am confident that these 12 children are just the beginning – there is such an overwhelming need. Kindly ask the Lord for guidance about when I should plan to return and the steps He would direct us to next.

Pray also for the Osborne’s mission – they are facing significant financial shortfalls and a multitude of other challenges – even as Lois battles her diabetes and Hoyt his back pain. Pray for the people of Kenya – there is a serious drought and food shortage – and if rain does not come soon, many people will die. The cost of some food items has increased 300% already!

Finally, pray for God’s provision for our ministry. We have started this work in Kenya entirely by faith – but the costs are much higher than we anticipated. i am not worried – as we trust Him and practice good stewardship – God will surely provide for what He has initiated - He is obligated! People have been asking how they can participate financially. Donations can be sent to:

Grace Children’s Home Ministries
c/o First Baptist Church
1511 Delaware Ave.
West Sacramento, CA 95691

You can mark your check specifically for the Kenya home if you wish. Also, if you are interested in sponsoring a specific child, please let me know via email and I will send you pertinent information.

If you would like me to come and present this ministry at your church, small group etc. then let me know that too. I am hoping to head to the Pacific Northwest in august – if that is any help....

And since many of you on this mailing list have just been added recently, I am going to include a link to a 2005 article on how this ministry got started 8 years ago.

baptistbulletin.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/bb_11_05_pp20-23.pdf

Last, but not least, enjoy the attachment picture of newest family – take joy in seeing the fruit of your prayers firsthand! Aren’t they beautiful?? Yeah they are!! Each one a precious gift from the hand of God!

Thank you for your participation with us through your prayers - knowing that so many people were praying was priceless to us! I am praying that our sweet Father will bless you just a fraction of the blessing you have been to us over the past month. And if He does – get ready to be majorly blessed!

Back in California but still a little bit African,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment